Last April 8, we were invited to our first book launch event. It was The Toddler Travels book by Genevieve Gutierrez-Figueroa. As the name suggests, the book is a guide for parents/individuals who will be traveling with their little ones abroad.
When I first received Gen’s invite about her book launch, I thought about not going anymore. We’ve already traveled with Light three times prior and I thought that there’s probably nothing more I needed to know about traveling with a toddler. But it got me curious so I said yes. 🙂
It was a good thing, though, because I decided to buy the book too. All I can say is that I wish I knew about this book before I planned our first trip with Light. The whole plan would have been different and I would’ve considered other options that I didn’t think of before. Most importantly, I think our first trip would’ve been a lot more relaxed (you know what I mean if you’ve already experienced traveling with a toddler). 😀
Again, Light was with me (almost) the whole time. She was behaved (a little bit). As usual, taking pictures were a challenge with a (now) toddler Light in tow.
The book launch was held specifically for bloggers. It was a very fun and creative book launch, not like what I imagined it would be. I guess it had something to do with the fact that Gen was a self published author. So no corporate, mandatory set ups. I believe it was also her friends who helped set up and man the entire event.
The theme of course was traveling. At the registration we were given “boarding passes” so it felt like you’re getting on a plane and is about to travel. The snacks were given by a cute, “little” flight attendant.
The author gave a short introduction about herself and the book. Overall it was a relaxed and informal book launch.
It was also the first time for us to win something in an event. Yipee!
The Toddler Travels book is a good, short read when you’ve already decided that you want to go on an adventure with your little one but haven’t planned on anything yet. I found the first part quite helpful because Gen gives you options on where to go for your first trip. Call me silly but I didn’t think those other options were possible when traveling with a toddler.
Here are the other tips I found useful:
- Placing a small first aid kit on your hand carry. I didn’t think of putting a small first aid kit on our hand carry. I placed all the meds in our check in luggage. I didn’t think I would need it but it’s a wise advice. You’ll never know when you’ll need it with your curious little one running around the airport.
- Very important travel items to bring: HOOK and SEAT STRAP. These two are life savers when traveling with a toddler. My tip – just get the strap from an old bag (long and adjustable) and use it as your seat strap.
- Trying the food first to get familiarize. It’s hard to order food you’r not familiar with. It’s even harder to have your child eat it if it turns out not that good. So a wise advice from Gen would be to try the dishes out first if you can find a restaurant serving dishes of the place you’ll be going to so you’ll know which ones to order when you get there.
Who’s best to give tips about traveling if not a well traveled person? And where to get advice on traveling with a toddler but from someone who’s already done it several times? The Toddler Travels may be Genevieve Gutierrez-Figueroa’s first book but it’s a book that’s packed with years of experience. She has not only in part to us her knowledge and expertise in traveling with a little one, she has also shared with us her passion. It’s her desire to put out there a mark, her own legacy and she has done it with this book.
The Toddler Travels
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: The Toddler Travels
- Instagram: thetoddlertravelsbook
- SRP: Php 395
- Distribution: FullyBooked, National Bookstore, Powerbooks