Now that we are expecting again, I think it’s time to refresh my memory on what to prepare for the arrival of a newborn.
It was easier before because I didn’t have to worry about a toddler. Now, my husband and I haven’t really figured out how to go about it when it’s time to go to the hospital.
What do we do with Light?
Who will stay with me in the hospital?
We still have time but I’d like to plan ahead. And it’s hard when you don’t know when exactly you’ll be giving birth. On my first pregnancy, we went to the hospital early in the morning. Around 4am.
What if this time it’s the same odd hours?
Do we bring Light with us?
Do we have time to call someone to stay with Light?
Or do we bring her to our parents first before going to the hospital?
I think one thing is for sure that my husband and I both agreed on. We don’t want Light to stay or sleep in the hospital. That probably means the hubby will not be staying with me in the hospital overnight.
Anyway, musings of a mom who has a few hours while the toddler takes a nap.
Now for the hospital bag… What oh what did I pack the first time… I don’t remember forgetting anything before with Light. I think I even overpacked.
So here’s the list of things to pack in your hospital bag.
For The Newborn
- 1 complete set of clothes for the baby (to be given to the nurse and to be used right after the baby comes out)
- 4-5 onesies or set of top and bottoms (tip: easy to wear clothes)
- A couple of mittens
- 2-3 socks
- Several bibs
- Several muslins (estimate 10 pieces)
- 1 towel
- A couple of swaddle blankets (tip: bring blankets not the pre-folded types because sometimes the baby doesn’t like to be swaddled)
- Cotton balls
- Cotton buds
- Disposable diapers
- Travel pack mild 2in1 wash, alcohol, diaper rash cream, mild lotion
For The Hubby/Person Staying With You
- Set of clothes good for 3 days
- 1 set extra (especially important in case your newborn decides to shower him with pee/poo/puke)
- 1 travel size towel
- Travel size toiletries
- A pillow and a blanket
- A robe (found it super useful and comfy)
- 1 set and an extra of nursing friendly clothes (to wear when discharged)
- A few maternity pads
- Nursing cover
- Nursing pillow
- Toiletries (only brought body soap, facial wash and feminine wash)
- Face towel (since it was already the start of my Ge Lai or Postpartum Healing, I was encouraged not to take a bath and thus used a small towel only to wipe my body)
- A couple of disposable pads
- Drinking water/juice (for yourselves and your guests)
- Snacks (for yourselves and your guests)
- Phone, tablet and camera chargers (don’t want to run out of batteries taking pictures of your newborn)
- Plastic bags for soiled clothes (because there will be soiled clothes, either yours or your baby’s)
- Laundry detergent and dish washing liquid (just in case)
I didn’t bring any bottles or formula (just in case) because I didn’t want to make it easier for me to decide to use formula. I wanted to exclusively breastfeed.
Hmmm… what else… Did I forget anything? If other mommies out there would like to add to my list or would like to share their tips on how to pack your hospital bags, do comment below. 🙂